Cross of the Dutchman novel

Everything about Triangle Studios' new game!

Re: Cross of the Dutchman novel

Postby trinest » 28 Sep 2012, 11:02

Ah okay. Thanks :)

trinest

Rebel
Rebel

Postby USSGreatePier » 28 Sep 2012, 18:01

Besides, you can't rush a creative process :)

Playable demo at Indigo in September, public release of the demo in October, (first) novel release in November... Sounds good to me :) Too bad, I won't be able to attend Indigo either :/ Real crappy... Have to work and I also have another engagement later that day...

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Bram » 28 Sep 2012, 21:04

Aww that's to bad man. I was really hoping you could make it. But your demo-time will come eventually ;)

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby Mark » 09 Oct 2012, 12:05

I understand Frisian but reading or speaking it will be impossible, so I just going to order it in Dutch or English.

Mark

Farmer
Farmer

Postby Hayemaker » 05 Nov 2012, 20:06

Ate Grypstra was my teacher Frisian on my old school. Really nice guy to talk to.

Hayemaker

Villager
Villager

Postby Bram » 06 Nov 2012, 09:58

That's really cool! There's some Ate-news coming up, probably this week. I'm sure you're going to like it then :)

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby USSGreatePier » 06 Nov 2012, 22:47

Bram wrote:That's really cool! There's some Ate-news coming up, probably this week. I'm sure you're going to like it then :)

Does that smell like the release of the first version of the novel? :twisted:

Would be cool, I have 2 weeks leave coming November 17th :) I've got plenty to do already, but would be nice to be able to do some reading in the evenings :)

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Bram » 07 Nov 2012, 09:50

Yegh, freshly printed books smell like hell...

...And I should know...

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby USSGreatePier » 07 Nov 2012, 14:31

Bram wrote:Yegh, freshly printed books smell like hell...

...And I should know...

Ugh... I remember that smell... Reminds me of school :? PLEASE don't remind me again... :x

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Bram » 07 Nov 2012, 15:09

Yeah that old school smell... Then make the ink stinky fresh, add some wetness, the smell of ozone of the presses, a dash of terpentine...

Maybe I'm hinting too much...

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby USSGreatePier » 07 Nov 2012, 20:00

For those with at least half a brain it was obvious enough :lol:

Really cool to hear the first book is soon headed our way... And like I mentioned earlier...

USSGreatePier wrote:Would be cool, I have 2 weeks leave coming November 17th :) I've got plenty to do already, but would be nice to be able to do some reading in the evenings :)

...the timing couldn't be better, hehe 8-)

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby USSGreatePier » 14 Nov 2012, 14:48

Look what I got in the mail today... Neatly wrapped in Frisian flag gift wrap...

I just read a few lines, but I'm going to continue reading this evening ;)

The book looks absolutely great, great cover art and other nice artwork here and there within the book... Real professional package! Can't say anything about the actual contents just yet, but I'll get back to you on that, haha... It'll be a slow read though... I'm 100% Frisian, but can't read my own first language that fast :oops: But this'll be a great training, heh... (Back in the 90's we didn't have Frisian in school... Really pathetic! :x)
Last edited by USSGreatePier on 25 Jan 2015, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Bram » 14 Nov 2012, 15:32

Awesome! I didn't even know about about the packaging :P Good to hear you like it!

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby Remco » 14 Nov 2012, 15:34

Awesome! great to see the book has arrived :-)

Even though I'm not born in Friesland, I was able to manage quite well. It takes just one or two pages to get used to, then it just reads like any other book. Aside from it being about Pier of course ;-)

Remco

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby trinest » 11 Dec 2012, 06:38

Do we have an updated on the translated ones?

trinest

Rebel
Rebel

Postby Bram » 11 Dec 2012, 15:54

Unfortuantely, no. There has been some miscommunication with the publisher causing confusion on where both parties expected the release of the Dutch and English versions.

We understand this sucks, especially since you were one of the first to pre-order the book.

We have a pending meeting with the publisher next week to clear things up, and we had planned to send all pre-orders a message regarding the outcome of that meeting.

In case you don't want to wait any longer, it's always possible to cancel the pre-order and receive a refund.

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby trinest » 12 Dec 2012, 09:23

I don't mind waiting. However a target would be nice. Thanks for letting me know the status.

trinest

Rebel
Rebel

Postby Mark » 26 Feb 2013, 01:54

Might be a question already answered some where but could not find it, will the book be released as a e-book as well?

Mark

Farmer
Farmer

Postby Steven_ » 06 Mar 2013, 11:31

Mark wrote:Might be a question already answered some where but could not find it, will the book be released as a e-book as well?

Hi, Mark. Sorry, there are currently no plans to release an e-book of Cross of the Dutchman. Are you perhaps having problems getting your hands on a copy?

Steven_

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby USSGreatePier » 09 Mar 2013, 01:39

An audiobook would be even more epic... As a hearplay I mean :) I'd be curious to know what gruesome sound effects there would be for freshly cut off heads landing on the ground, whehehe... :twisted:

I'll be writing a short, non-spoiling review of the novel soon actually... I failed to complete my read of the book last year, but I picked the book up again a few days ago and started from the beginning... I'm about three quarters of the way through now, I'll probably finish it this weekend :)

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby USSGreatePier » 10 Mar 2013, 13:08

So, as promised, a short review of the novel. I will aim to spoil nothing in this post, but by now, the main story of Pier will be well-known to most people visiting this website. And the book, of course, tells about this same epic struggle against the many oppressors… As you might also know, the book is written from the perspective of Pier’s right-hand in the battle against their foes, Wijerd Jelckama, the son of Pier’s older sister. This offers a fresh outlook on the whole story… and in a very entertaining way!

Ate Grypstra (from his interview) wrote:Another reason why I didn’t write the story from Pier’s perspective is because of the game. When you play that you already see the story from Pier’s eyes. I think it’s nice that you see a different side of the story in the book.

(The full interview with Ate: http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/2012/ ... -grypstra/)

So, this book, of which most know the rough story lines already, will not serve as a spoiler for the game. Rather, it’ll be a big help in understanding what is unfolding exactly. We’ve all played games before where so much ‘in-game history’, background information and extensive character profiles are offered you complete lose track of it. (Let’s call it the Tolkien-syndrome). Now, because the life and works of Pier are still somewhat shrouded in mystery here and there, you won’t be overwhelmed with endless trivia about the matter, nor do you need to know very much about him to play the game, I can imagine. But, nevertheless, I’m more than sure the book will be a great guide for people who don’t know too much about Pier except for the few things ‘everyone’ knows.

So, I won’t be talking about the actual stories in the novel, as I don’t want to spoil anyone’s reading pleasure, but rest assured, a whole bunch of the more well-known Pier stories are included within the pages of this book. Like I said, Pier’s life is partly shrouded in mist and may suffer from exaggerations that crept into the story as this bulk of epicness was handed down through the centuries. But that allows for extra creative liberty for the writer. Ate Grypstra and the team at Triangle Studios have done a ton of research on the subject, and it shows. Many, many little details are woven into the story. The aforementioned creative liberty probably filled in a few little gaps along the way and maybe a one or two assumptions were made. Hey, it may be a historical novel, but with many pieces of the puzzle that have dropped off the table (or that have been victim of a coffee spill) you have to be creative.

The writing itself then. Well, it’s superb; it’s really well written… The only critique I’d like to place would be that it’s too damn short. Not just because I liked the book a lot, but also because of the fact that the beginning of the book, let’s say up until the moment the farmstead goes up in flames, everything is told in an unhurried way with loads of elaboration (which is good). However, from that point on, it becomes more hasty. But, that’s the only thing I can be mildly critical about. Perhaps because I want more, perhaps it was because my reading speed picked up, haha… But the novel is really well written, very entertaining and has plenty of humorous moments which made me laugh out loud.

Now then, the aesthetics… I’ve already mentioned my opinion on that before in this very thread, but for completeness’ sake I’ll quote myself in unadulterated self-plagiarism:

USSGreatePier wrote:The book looks absolutely great, great cover art and other nice artwork here and there within the book... Real professional package!

I also said:

USSGreatePier wrote:It'll be a slow read though... I'm 100% Frisian, but can't read my own first language that fast :oops: But this'll be a great training, heh... (Back in the 90's we didn't have Frisian in school... Really pathetic! :x)

Remco wrote:Even though I'm not born in Friesland, I was able to manage quite well. It takes just one or two pages to get used to, then it just reads like any other book.

And you know, Remco was right… It wasn’t nearly as hard or time consuming as I thought it would be…

Upon asking which version of the book people would order, spaz answered this:

spazzacamino wrote:Me Frisian, English woulnt give the raw frisian language credits

And that is exactly what I started to figure during my read of this novel. Frisian is such a typical language with many typical expressions that make the language what it is… I wonder what the ‘feel’ of the book will be after it’s translated into English and Dutch. If that ‘fear’ is unjustified only time will tell…

When Barteld asked if there was going to be an audio book:

Remco wrote:That is a pretty good idea! Creating an audio book would take a couple of days recording in the studio, but then again it just might be something people like. Perhaps it should depend on the success of the book itself?

Well, the book is a success from where I’m standing, haha! But Remco was probably aiming at the number of sales of the novels, and I don’t know anything about that of course. But do keep this idea in mind, Remco. This book is worth an audio book. Or rather, a hearplay!

To wrap up: Ate, well done! Really entertaining historical novel which should become historical itself, haha! And if you like beer, this I novel is a must… (That last remark will help to sell many copies, I’m sure…)

I’ll patiently await the translated versions and I may post an addendum to this review to see how the ‘feel’ of those versions are.

Ok, the 'short' review turned out to be nearly 1,000 words... Sorry! :lol:

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Steven_ » 11 Mar 2013, 11:47

USSGreatePier wrote:So, as promised, a short review of the novel. I will aim to spoil nothing in this post, but by now, the main story of Pier will be well-known to most people visiting this website.

I still haven't read it :oops:. But your review tells me I'm really missing out if I don't read it. And as a moderator.. yeah I should read it soon. I've got the Frisian version here but the last Frisian book I read was 'De Kameleon' when I was a child, so I'm curious how that will turn out. Hopefully I will pick up speed along the way too :). Anyway, as a Frisian I'm really curious about the typical 'feel' of the Frisian version as you describe it. Thanks for the review!

Steven_

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby USSGreatePier » 13 Mar 2013, 15:24

Steven_ wrote:I still haven't read it :oops:. But your review tells me I'm really missing out if I don't read it. And as a moderator.. yeah I should read it soon.

Aye :)

Has anyone else read the novel? There must've been more than a handful of copies sold, haha :)

And I hope for the folks who ordered the Dutch or English version they'll get it soon... It'll hopefully also breathe some life into this forum.

USSGreatePier

User avatar  Captain
Captain

Postby Bram » 18 Mar 2013, 20:50

Don't feel bad about it, I haven't read it as well :P
But maybe that's because I've never read/wrote/spoke anything Frisian in my life...

Bram

User avatar  Developer
Developer

Postby Steven_ » 19 Mar 2013, 10:46

Bram wrote:Don't feel bad about it, I haven't read it as well :P
But maybe that's because I've never read/wrote/spoke anything Frisian in my life...

Sounds like a legit excuse :roll:

Steven_

User avatar  Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Cross of the Dutchman